3.16.2006

so many dresses, so little time

everyone who inquires about the status of my wedding planning expresses surprise when i answer their questions about my wedding dress. my wedding is not for another 14 months, but most people expected me to have purchased my gown the day after george put a ring on my finger. i'm not sure if that means i oozed desperation from my pores or that i give the impression of valuing fashion over, well, anything.

i suppose it's probably more of the latter, or least i'd like to think so. there was a time when it would have made sense that people expected me to be all about the dress. however that time passed about 30 pounds ago. in the 3 months i've been engaged, i've tried to avoid conversations about gowns and even thinking about them to myself.

this is not an entirely sensible plan b/c the whole ostrich-like response to unpleasant matters never works. i have until the end of april to finalize wedding details like the church, dj and photographer. then i'll take "off" for 3 months to focus on finals, graduation and the bar exam. i'll pick up with wedding planning in august but i'll also be preoccupied with the engagement party at that point. anyway most wedding planning guides recommend leaving the gown decision until no later than 8-10 months before the wedding. that would mean that i'd have to have the dress picked out and ordered by no later than september. that poses a problem for me b/c i don't plan to look at dresses until i make a trip to india in october.

the solution to this would be just to narrow my choices down now and then make an impulse decision next fall. easy right? not when you consider that ordering off a dim sum cart is an agonizing decision for me. i've tried to look at dresses online and see which styles catch my eye. then perhaps i'll be able to muster up some courage to hit a bridal salon and try on some styles and see which ones don't make me look like the stay puft marshmallow man.

this could be easier said than done if i had any idea of the image i'd like to present on my wedding day. do i want to be a dewey and soft bride? a regal one? an ethereal one? sexy? innocent? princess?

what type of material: lace? satin? taffeta? the type of work? bead embroidery? pearls? silver? gold?

neckline: strapless? sweetheart? spaghetti straps?

sillhouette: a-line? empire? ball-gown sillhouette?

train length: chapel? cathedral?

there are just too many choices and i'm incapable of decision.

i think that's perhaps why i have no interest in trying on wedding dresses (more than my fear of looking in the mirror). i understand that it's going to be hard for me to even decide on a style, let alone a specific dress and i'm already dreading the process. i wish my fairy godmother would just wave her wand and dress me. or more realistically, i wish someone would just tell me what look i should aspire to on my wedding day and then put me in that exact dress with a matching tiara and veil.

if that's too much to ask, is it also too much to ask that george and i have 10 different wedding ceremonies and receptions so i can wear my narrowed down selections without going crazy with the eeny meeny miney mo?

i thought so.

5 Comments:

At Thu Mar 16, 10:58:00 AM, Blogger Scorps1027 said...

this post reminded me of my whole dress 'journey'. people expected me to have the wedding dress right away, like that would be the very FIRST thing taken care of. but i seriously felt like i tried on every dress in the eastern seaboard and did not like anything on me or was so indecisive. even after i bought my dress initially, i was completely in regret. i had to have reemy yell at me before i finally snapped out of it:) whatever you chose, you will look absolutely STUNNING that day and very much like julie!

 
At Thu Mar 16, 11:15:00 AM, Blogger kovoor36 said...

i agree with sib, im sure you will find THE dress and be in lvoe, once you see it. i still think though its still crazy, dress shopping has to be one of the better aspects of wedding planning!! stress over finding the photog and church and all... look fwd to dress shopping!!

 
At Mon Mar 20, 05:32:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i had zero clue what type of bride i wanted to be either! and these people at the dress shops expect you to have some sort of idea which is just asking too much. i had 3 dresses that i thought were 'the one' before i actually dropped them all for the one i wore. whenever it's time go to a place that has lots of different styles. you'll find yourself gravitating to certain cuts and styles as you go through them. that should help you narrow it down at least a little!

 
At Wed Mar 22, 08:39:00 PM, Blogger cookiemonsta said...

I wish i had words of wisdom about this matter. I don't!

I know whatever you choose.. what your li'l heart desires.. you'd look absolutely beautiful in. I cna't wait to read/see the details!

 
At Tue Mar 28, 08:25:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i honestly believe you could wear a white garbage bag and look absolutely gorgeous;) but since we don't want you to walk around in a garbage bag...hahaha....no but really jules, i know there's alotta decisions about the dress but george is going to see you walking down the aisle and be blown away regardless:) just remember that:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home