1.27.2006

not that i'm about to throw myself under a train

ever since i started my love affair with russian literature at the tender age of 14, i've always been obsessed with anna karenina. i've seen the film versions and thought they didn't do enough justice to the novel. anyone who mentions being familiar with the novel is an immediate friend of mine. (nice to know i'm not very discriminating, huh?) similarly, any other book or movie that refers to anna karenina gets an a-ok from me. it's like a blind covers my eyes and plugs my ears -- i cease to notice the mediocrity of what i'm reading/viewing. i am just so in love with the creator of the work for speaking to me thru his or her reference of the novel. this love for anything that refers to vronsky, anna, kitty and others has met its match.

i saw a movie back in 1998 called music from another room. i actually liked it at the time. i wasn't completely enthralled but i thought i appreciated that my favorite novel was mentioned. it was on showtime yesterday and i thought i'd take the opportunity to watch it again and see why random bloggers hate gretchen mol's acting so much. well after wasting over 1 1/2 hours of my time, i realize now what i failed to appreciate then: the storyline is terrible and gretchen mol really is a terrible actress. i'm sure she was a great thespian in high school when acting in our town was a stretch, but her skills must have peaked at that age because i've seen better acting from george when i ask him if my butt looks big in these pants.

conclusion -- citing anna karenina may be a way to my heart but it sill surely not make for a great work of art.

1 Comments:

At Mon Jan 30, 02:24:00 PM, Blogger kovoor36 said...

hgahhahahhahhahaa!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home